MONASTERY OF KIPOURIA
a distance of 15km from the town of Lixouri lies the old Monastery
of Kipouria. Its name is owed to the many gardens ("kipoi")
tended to by the holy fathers for survival reasons. The Monastery
is built in 1759, on the edge of a solid rocky cliff high above
the sea. The founder of the Monastery was the Paxian Monk Chrisanthos
Petropoulos and it is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin.
In a short period of time it become a monk Monastery with the monk
population reaching 80 in its peak years. Many distinguished clergymen
emerge from this Monastery and with their spiritual work helped
to develop this otherwise spiritually arid area.
In 1915 a French cruiser bombs the Monastery, mistaking its smoking
chimney for an enemy vessel, Further destruction to the Monastery
was delivered by the earthquakes in 1953. In 1964, reconstruction
is limited to the Katholicon (main part of the church) while the
remaining buildings are rebuilt during the 90's, with personal work
from the only monk who lives today in the Monastery.
the Monastery one can worship the miraculous icon of the Annunciation
as well as the sculls of the fouders of the Monastery, Chrisanthos,
Konstantios and Efronios. A piece of the Holy Cross offered to the
Monastery by the Russian Prince Vladimiros Dolgoroukis in 1862 is
also kept in the Monastery. An elegant glass jar holds St Dimitrios'
Myrovlitos holy myron from the 7th AC century. One can also worship
various Saint's relics as well as saint Paraskevi's miraculous icon,
a unique treasure of the destroyed Tafios Monastery.
The Monastery celebrates on:
a) March 25th, Annunciation of the Holy Virgin
b) 3rd Sunday of Lent, Holy Cross Worship Day
c) September 14th r, the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, with devout
vigil in the presence of the local Metropolitan
d) July 26th, feast day of Saint Paraskevi
From the Monastery's balcony one can admire and photograph the
famous sunset. The majestic landscape of the Monastery which harmoniously
combines the untrodden mountain with the virgin sea, is reminiscent
of the "Caroulia" of Mount Athos. This in combination
with its spiritual treasures constitutes the Monastery a supreme
attraction for visitors.
We pray to God to lead the steps of devout souls to this blessed
place so as to serve Him.
Monastery's telephone: 06710 91354